.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 15, 2004

Surname concept followed in the US and UK 

Last week when I called up my home to find out if there was any letter for me from one of the local bank over here, my father immediately replied saying that there was no letter for me since a week. After talking with him for sometime, he told that he was supposed to go to Kerala the same day evening, but postponed the trip for a day because he has to meet a local income tax guy. When I asked him the purpose he said that he has received a letter from the Inland Revenue department and for that he want to meet somebody. Inland Revenue? You? I asked him, he said “Yes” and further added that even there is some confusion with the name written over the envelope, it says “BS Abraham” instead of “A. Abraham”, the house address looks perfect and none of our neighbors also have the name as that of mine.

Now I understand there is some confusion with the name and asked him if anywhere it’s written it is from UK, “Yes” he replied and I told him that this one is for me because in the UK they follow the last name concept. Even though he knew that it’s from UK, he was sure that it’s for him because my name (A. Bright Sam) doesn’t have Abraham in it as per the Indian records (School/College certificates). But my passport and UK records read my name as “Bright Sam Abraham” and they (the UK tax department) made it short as “BS Abraham” instead. At the end he was feeling for the day he has wasted because of this confusion otherwise he would have traveled to Kerala the same day itself. However he was happy for I have called him that day accidentally to ask if I have received any letter from the bank otherwise it would have been more interesting.

Hope you are not confused now ;)

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?